Maintaining Healthy Weight During the Holidays
The holiday season, with its many bountiful meals and numerous social gatherings, offers many temptations for those watching their waists. Here are tips for eating smart during the holidays.
- Bring a healthy dish to share. This will ensure that there’s at least one healthy appetizer at the table. Good choices include a veggie tray, shrimp cocktails, or a hummus plate with whole wheat pita bread and vegetables.
- Be choosy about alcohol. If you plan to drink, stick with a glass of wine, light beer or a cocktail without a sugary mixer. Use club soda, tonic water or diet soda as a mixer. Also, drink in moderation; drinking too much can lead to overeating.
- Don’t stand next to the food when mingling. Being close to the food makes it too convenient to eat.
- Dance, dance, dance! Burn calories while having fun!
- Don’t graze all night. Take a plate of food and stop after that; you’re more likely to overeat if you snack throughout the night.
- Don’t go to an event on an empty stomach. Having a semi-full stomach will help you avoid overeating at the party.
- Drink plenty of water. Coffee and alcohol dehydrate your body. Water is a natural appetite suppressant and will help curb your appetite.