The holiday season, with its many bountiful meals and numerous social gatherings, offers many temptations for those watching their waists. Here are tips for eating smart during the holidays.
- Bring a healthy dish to share. This will ensure that there’s at least one healthy appetizer at the table. Good choices include a veggie tray, shrimp cocktails, or a hummus plate with whole wheat pita bread and vegetables.
- Be choosy about alcohol. If you plan to drink, stick with a glass of wine, light beer or a cocktail without a sugary mixer. Use club soda, tonic water or diet soda as a mixer. Also, drink in moderation; drinking too much can lead to overeating.
- Don’t stand next to the food when mingling. Being close to the food makes it too convenient to eat.
- Dance, dance, dance! Burn calories while having fun!
- Don’t graze all night. Take a plate of food and stop after that; you’re more likely to overeat if you snack throughout the night.
- Don’t go to an event on an empty stomach. Having a semi-full stomach will help you avoid overeating at the party.
- Drink plenty of water. Coffee and alcohol dehydrate your body. Water is a natural appetite suppressant and will help curb your appetite.